The photo on the cover of this 1929 Duke Stadium dedication game program was used on all Duke home games that year. In our humble opinion, it ranks among the finest photographic covers in our entire collection.
Originally called Duke Stadium, and re-named Wallace Wade Stadium in 1967 in honor of Duke’s legendary football coach, its still largely wooded setting amidst the surrounding Duke Forest makes it one of the low key meccas of the college gridiron scene. In the background behind the stadium, you can see the Duke Chapel and many of the original Gothic buildings of the West Campus under construction.
While the Blue Devil athletic honors in recent decades have gone mainly to Coaches Krzyzewski and Bubas, from the 1930s through the 50s, Duke Stadium housed one of the nation’s foremost powerhouses with 19 rankings in the top 20, several bowl appearances, and one year (1938) when it remained unscored upon all year until the final minute of the Rose Bowl.
If those walls could talk, they’d have quite a few tales to tell.
Click here to buy a poster of this program cover.